Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Selling my photography via the internet

It's amazing all of the options out there for an artist to market him/herself over the internet.  I have been weighing many options and experimenting with all of the free trial periods on the do it yourself web design sites.  However, the one area they all fall short on is e-commerce, the ability to select a photo of mine that you like and purchase it via the internet.  I was looking into having a webpage created for me with the shopping cart option but the only drawback is that I would've been responsible for all of the print jobs and shipping.  I was hesitant on going with a site that used such services as snapfish and shutterfly for printing because they aren't considered professional quality print jobs.  CVS and Walgreen prints are great for the family to pass around at get togethers but to actually hang it in your house or frame it for the office is a different story. 

So after much research and some help from friends that are in the same situation I am ready to try Smug Mug for a year.  I know, why would they create that name because it's not very catchy and kind of rubs me the wrong way.  However, they have a great website for photographers who want to sell their work while staying out of the financial and printing end of things.  This allows me to focus on the artistic side of things rather than the business aspect of it all.  They have researched many printing companies and have selected one that creates a high quality image and more importantly they package the photos with care so they are received without any creases or bent corners. 

For those of you who are interested in this site for your own work or to just see what they are all about I am pasting a link to their site below.  I will create my webpage via their site once I get my new camera, the D7000 if you want to look it up.  I will be sure to let everyone know when I launch my page because you will be able to buy my artistic work or photos from past races that you participated in.  If you want to buy anything now just let me know because in the mean time I have a friend who works for a photography studio that produces amazing prints that I can have done within a few days for local pick up or shipping.  I appreciate all of the support whether it is just reading my blog or buying some of my work because it is all helping me reach my first goal of buying new gear and ultimately making a professional name for myself so thank you.
http://www.smugmug.com/

1 comment:

  1. Who's going to have their site up first???? : )
    Cool blog....looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete